Saturday, September 18, 2010

Crazy Beautiful Life

Leaving the NICU - YAY!

Driving home

Adorable welcome home sign from Aunt Natalie

Wanting to wake up her baby brother

First bath at home



The last 5 plus days have been wild, exhausting, exasperating, and filled with so much joy. Having both of my children under one roof is more overwhelming and wonderful than I ever imagined. Eleanora loves (and I mean loves) her baby brother! She wants to kiss him all over, touch him all the time, wake him up when he's sleeping (oh dear!), and calls for him at the door when he's in another room. She also imitates everything we do for Samuel with her stuffed animals. She burps them with burp cloths on her shoulder, shhh's them, puts them "ni-ni" (night-night), and gives them bottles. It is so so sweet.

Speaking of bottles, our little man has not made much progress in that area. He still refuses to nurse, or when he does gets frustrated quickly. We're still on the nursing (attempt), bottle feed, pump schedule every three hours which is utterly exhausting. Thank goodness for my wonderful husband who is up with me every time in the night to wash bottles, feed Samuel, and make sure I don't wonder deliriously into a wall or something. Natalie continues to be an invaluable help, cleaning, doing laundry, dishes, occupying Eleanora, holding Samuel, keeping me sane (no small job!) and just being the most amazing and selfless sister on the planet. She and Liam have sacrificed so much to take care of us and we are at a loss as to how to express our gratitude.

As draining and overwhelming as this all has been, I am so unbelievable grateful to have our little guy home and in our arms! He is so sweet and snuggly, loves to be held (thank goodness for the Moby - it's perfect for preemies!) and wants nothing more than to be close to us - which is fine by me. We are all just so in love with him!

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I see Sammy really loves his bath ... Great job on the sign, Natalie! What a creative, colorful, beautiful sign to welcome him home. I heard she stayed up into the wee hours of the night to get that done, but it was well worth the effort. The picture of the 3 of you leaving the hospital really choked me up. You gave weeks of your life to that place--day in, day out, every, every day. But now you are FREE!! Well, sort of : )
Great photos! Love, Mom

Elaine said...

I just realized that you have father and son profiles going on in the "Driving Home" photo! I'm loving it!